Peter has traveled extensively as a journalist working across Canada and internationally in places such as Costa Rica, Colombia, China, Ghana, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Vietnam. His interest in local history was developed when he wrote his master's thesis [Master of Journalism graduate, Carleton University 1986] on the canning industry of Prince Edward County, once the capital of the industry in Canada. The rise and fall of this industry - and its impact upon the community - created his enduring interest in local history.
Peter also has extensive experience working within the non-profit sector as a volunteer, Executive Director, board member and consultant. His understanding of volunteer agencies, broadcast skills, and interest in local history all combined to develop his company.
Peter has developed a strong team of experienced professional associates to provide a wide range of services to businesses, industry associations, and community heritage organizations celebrating their history.
History Lives Here Inc. provides a range of professional communication services to assist businesses, industry associations and community heritage organizations to celebrate their history during anniversary years.
We're storytellers. We tell old stories to new audiences using modern technologies.
Most businesses, organizations and communities have a rich history. But it is often hidden within archival records, artifacts and collections. This lost history can be transformed into "popular" history that engages audiences and is available to them in contemporary multimedia formats - as limited edition, commemorative DVD and book sets available online. In turn, these products can become the centerpieces of events and activities to celebrate significant anniversary years whether it's the 50th birthday of a company or industry trade organization, or the 250th birthday of a community.
Recent History Lives Here Inc. projects include:
- The web broadcast of the documentary Soldier of Peace, a profile of the late Dr. Lotta Hitschmanova, founder of the Unitarian Service Committee of Canada (USC) as part of the USC's celebration of their founder's 100th birthday (Ottawa, November 2009)
- The launch of the HISTORY MOMENTS series of video vignettes on the history of Prince Edward County, Ontario. The short features play before movies on the local cinema and are in use as a teaching aid in local schools. A second series of 12 vignettes is now under development (Picton, September 2009)
- The launch of a book - A Century of Co-operation - at the National Library of Canada in Ottawa. History Lives Here Inc. provided archival image research for this publication produced for the Canadian Co-operative Association during the 100th anniversary of the organization (Ottawa, June 2009)
- The premiere of the Co-operative Hall of Fame Awards honouring pioneers of the Canadian co-operative and credit union movement. The video award series was produced for the Canadian Co-operative Association as part of its 100th anniversary celebrations (June 2009)
- The premiere of a book/DVD set - Celebrating Hockey History: The Story of the 1958/59 World Champion Belleville McFarlands hockey team - at the Empire Theatre in Belleville on the 50th anniversary of the team's victory in Prague, Czechoslovakia (April 2009)
- The premiere of a DVD - 50 Years of Excellence - produced for the Essroc Italcementi Group during the 50th anniversary of the company's plant in Picton, Ontario (March 2008)
Let us tell your stories.... before they are lost to Time.